Tuesday 30 April 2013

The Lost Avenue

Another longer run yesterday. This time revisiting the Traquair side of the Bold Burn . "The sun shone and then it rained" was on a repeat loop. Rising to around 400 metres at Plora Craig,  the road levelled out and I enjoyed again those panoramic views to north and east.


My memories of this stretch have included:
A disproportionate joy in seeing a red squirrel; 
A hobbling frustration at having pulled a calf muscle;
Sharing small, pleasant greetings with passing bikers;
Fear and exhilaration when running for home, through a larch plantation near the Bold Rig in a thunder storm (should I chuck my watch away or not, I wondered - it being the only metal object I was wearing. Apart from my fillings); 
And the memory of lingering many times at  the long avenue of tall spruce trees below Plora Rig. Echoing in my fancy the Sequoia Avenue at Benmore.
I`ve marked the place with a cross on the map.
As I ran I began to realise that the Avenue was gone; acres and acres of trees were now stumps, leaving fields of stubble. Harvested like a crop of turnips. Like a personality had been erased taking my bearings with them. Home to deer and badgers and foxes and all the smaller creatures. Shade and contemplative corner for me. Like a duvet had been pulled off someone`s bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment